Mattresses are the stuff that forms the very foundation of our sleep (quite literally). So looking after them and ensuring that they stay in good condition will definitely help you sleep better. If you’re someone who has never bothered to clean your mattress even once after getting it, you may want to rethink that. Dust, sweat and other particulate materials tend to accumulate over time and changing the bedsheets will not help.
For the uninitiated, here are three methods to deep clean your mattress.
1. Flip, Dust, Vacuum
This is the cult favorite method for cleaning mattresses. However, unless you put in considerable effort, you might have to repeat this multiple times a year to ensure that all the dust has been gotten rid of.
Here’s how you do this.
- Strip the mattress and pillows of the bedsheet and pillowcase.
- Flip the mattress over. This you need to do every month regardless of the cleaning schedule. Flipping the mattress helps prevent sagging and uneven structural changes.
- Use a brush with soft bristles, dust vigorously on both sides.
- Air is out, spritz some sanitizer if necessary, especially if you have young kids, sanitizing would be a good idea.
- Leave the mattress under the fan so that the sanitizer evaporates out.
- Vacuum the entire mattress on both sides.
- Spread fresh bedsheets and pillowcases.
2. Baking Soda-Essential Oil Treatment
This is a very effective method to clean your mattress. Baking soda, as many would agree is a miracle, multitasker ingredient which does quite a lot in when it comes to cleaning. This method is not very different from the one we described above. And it’s something that is recommended once a month even if a mattress isn’t used very frequently, like the one in the guest room.
- Follow the first three steps from the last method.
- Dust baking soda generously all over the mattress, you’ll need around 200gms of product to cover the entire bed.
- Sprinkle an essential oil of your choice on the bed. Around 10-15 drops would do. This also helps to mask or to remove any unpleasant odors from the bed.
- Massage this into the bed and leave it for an hour in the open.
- Vacuum the bed after an hour or two
- Spread fresh sheets and pillowcases.
Go The Easy Route
Not that the two methods we described are back-breaking, but if you’re a really busy individual and are otherwise indisposed to do this, here’s what you can do. Buy or rent a mattress from Guarented. When you rent with us, you’ll be eligible for maintenance and services for your mattress through the whole term! You can just give us a call when you need assistance with cleaning. Likewise, all mattress purchased from our site come with free service warranty for up to a year since the date of delivery. We’ll be just a phone call away should you need help!